Pages

Tuesday 16 February 2010

Waxwings

Today I visited Cromer to help a birding friend relocate a flock of 4 Waxwings that had been seen in the town centre early morning. As I arrived there was a flock of 5 or 6 briefly perched in a tree before quickly moving off, so we walked around the back streets to try to refind them, and eventually found a couple feeding in a crab apple tree as pictured below.

Whilst we were watching these, they flew up calling loudly and joined a much larger flock of birds which were flying over, and from what I could see the flock of birds that they joined were Waxwings too. They disappeared over the rooftops towards the town centre, but it wasn't clear whether they had carried on or not, so I decided to have a further look for them.

Eventually I located them feeding on some cotoneaster berries in a back garden of a house, and after much trying to count them, eventually established that there were 24 present. I phoned the news out and there was a regular flow of birders arriving for the rest of the day as they periodically came to feed on the berries and also sat on the adjacent rooftops and telegraph wires.