Pages

Monday 19 April 2010

Whitethroats and Hirundines

A morning walk around East Runton revealed a couple of newly arrived Common Whitethroats in the bramble scrub, with the second one quietly sub-singing.
 
I then revisted Felbrigg Lake to see if the birds seen yesterday evening were still present, and as soon as I had reached the lake I immediately picked out my first House Martin of the year flying round with a fairly large hirundine flock over the water.
From time to time, both Swallows and Sand Martins from the assembled flock would briefly land on the fence along the north side of the lake, enabling me to get the pics below.
Whilst watching the hirundines, a few Manadarins were busy flying round and occasionally landing briefly on the lake before flying off again. When a pair landed on the water I quickly made my way round to the south side and quietly stood in the trees along the bank, and to my delight they swam towards me and the drake briefly climbed out of the water onto the tree roots right in front of me and started to display to the female, enabling me to get the shot below.  

Yesterdays Common Sandpiper was still feeding along the north shoreline, but was too wary to come close enough to get any better pics today, with my best effort below.
 
Also present were the two Crested Ducks, presumably a pair, and afforded better views than yesterday, with their bright red eyes making them look really stunning.