Pages

Monday 24 May 2010

Local reedbed finally attracts a Reed Warbler

A walk around Sidestrand today produced my first Azure Damselfly of the year, but my main target was the Reed Warbler that had been discovered the day before in the small reedbed there. I was naturally pleased when it popped up singing away, as although the reed bed, which was planted as part of an effluent treatment system, has been there for a good number of years now, it was the first one that to my knowledge had ever been recorded in there, so was a very notable local record.

Coming back along the front at Overstrand showed that there were good numbers of Common Blues present on the grassy slope above the east end of the prom feeding on the various patches of buttercups on there.
As I was heading over to Holt in the afternoon, I called in at Walsey Hills on the way where I had a few fleeting glimpses of my first ever Hairy Dragonflies, but unfortunately they never settled in sight. Also there I saw a few Four-spot Chasers and Wall Butterflies, plus Azure and Blue-tailed Damselflies.