Pages

Sunday 15 August 2010

Redstart and Pied Flycatchers

With the wind today still a pretty strong north-easterly, I started the day off seawatching although this was abandoned after about an hour and a half as there was very little passing at all.
Attention switched to the land to again search for some incoming migrants and I quickly found a Pied Flycatcher near to the lighthouse and a Wheatear along the golf course, but as the day progressed the rapidly increasing wind buffeted the coast driving the birds inland to seek shelter which was evidenced in the finding of a Common Redstart and 3 Pied Flycatchers at Sidestrand with the Redstart, my first of the year, showing extremely well as evidenced by the photos below. I was also pleased with the shots I obtained of the Pied Flycatcher as it was the first time I had managed a photo of the species which are usually always on the move and pretty impossible to digiscope.