Pages

Thursday 30 June 2011

Green Sand and Quail

Another visit to Felbrigg today produced the first Purple Hairstreak of the year with one in the oaks on the east side of the lake. Checking the wall I found a few more exuvia and a few teneral Common Darters were flushed from the lakeside vegetation as I walked round.

Good numbers of butterflies were evident in the meadow to the south of the lake including Small Coppers, Common Blue, Large & Small Skippers, Meadow Browns, Ringlets and Green-veined Whites.

Walking round to the north end of the lake I heard a familiar call and swinging round I picked up a Green Sandpiper, my first of the year, flying in over the lake. It briefly pitched down in the stream but as a party of school children were then walking along the adjacent boardwalk, they quickly flushed it and it flew off high to the west.

Checking the brambles near the boardwalk I found my first Gatekeeper of the year which briefly paused to feed before flying off across the meadow.


Also in the same area a Black-tailed Skimmer and a rufescens form Blue-tailed Damselfly posed for photos too.


A trip to West Runton late afternoon was rewarded with a Quail calling away from the weedy field by the farm buildings, and then after a Hobby flew low west over the field causing it to go silent for a while it eventually sang again from the adjacent barley field.

Todays two year ticks brought the patch year list up to a very respectable 153 species for the first six months of the year, and given that I had recorded just 3 more by this point last year, maybe beating 2010's record total is achievable with a very good autumn, tho I think I'd settle for finding a patch first instead.