Pages

Sunday 26 August 2012

Small Red-eyed Damselflies at Felbrigg

Made a couple of further visits in the last few days to Felbrigg to see if I could find some more Red-veined Darters, and although unsuccessful so far I was delighted to find several Small Red-eyed Damselflies whilst I was searching. I hadn't seen any here last year and was fearing they had died out so I was very pleased to see they were still present.


Another welcome surprise was finding an Emerald Damselfly, the first one I've ever seen at Felbrigg, and only the second one I've ever seen on the patch. It stayed a bit distant along the reed edge but allowed a record shot to be taken to document the occurrence.


A Banded Demoiselle was also present which is also a very scarce species in the park, and during the course of checking all the Darters seen I found my first Ruddy Darter of the year too. Emperors, Black-tailed Skimmers, Brown Hawkers and Southern Hawkers were all also seen, along with numerous Common Darters.


Common Blue and Blue-tailed Damselflies were also present around the lake, and then a check of the trees where Migrant Hawkers like to hang-out produced about half a dozen including the one below.
 

On the lake the Mute Swans had been 're-stocked' back up to 19, and the Whooper Swan had returned to the lake to join them. A Gadwall was present in amongst the Mallard flock and several Reed Warblers were still in the reedbed. A (family?) flock of 6 Common Buzzards were circling high up over the park, and Crossbills were heard flying over.

Elsewhere a couple of Bonxies were seen passing by, and up to 5 Swifts were feeding over the village and seafront.