Pages

Tuesday 30 October 2012

GREAT WHITE EGRET

Today saw me as usual checking the area around the lighthouse for migrants and just as it appeared it was going to be an uneventful search I spotted an egret coming along the sea about 100 yards offshore. Naturally I assumed it was going to be a little but raising my bins I was stunned and excited to see that it was actually a Great White Egret, my first one ever for the patch, and the 260th species that I have recorded here.
 
As it passed by I took a few record shots, but sadly it was just too far away for anything really decent, but still they were a nice record of the occurrence.
 

Having got the news out quickly it was subsequently tracked along the coast, briefly pausing at Salthouse before carrying on west, so I was pleased that others had caught up with it, and thus hopefully would prevent the rather sad and ill-informed comments which were made behind my back after the one that I saw at Glandford last year.
 
I then decided to head to West Runton to look for the Richards Pipit that had been reported early morning. I made my way along the clifftop to the rough strip behind the barns, the favourite haunt of the one I found there last month, and immediately had it in flight as it headed over to the clifftop path where it gave good views.