Pages

Wednesday 23 May 2012

Garganey - New for the Patch

Headed down to Felbrigg Lake today to look for Dragonflies, not really expecting any bird action, but how wrong I was, as when I approached the lake edge a pair of ducks were inadvertently flushed from the edge of the reedbed and getting my bins on them as they quickly landed again I was delighted to see that they were Garganey, my first ones ever for the patch.


One of these days I'll get round to working out the total number of species I've recorded on the patch over the years, but guess it'll be somewhere around the 260 mark by now. The resident Whooper Swan was as ever on the lake too, and although looking for Dragonflies understandably took a back seat to the Garganey, I did see my first Red-eyed Damselflies of the year to the south of the lake, where a Reed Warbler was singing, and Little and Barn Owls were also noted.