Pages

Sunday 20 May 2012

Osprey & Red-backed Shrike

News of a probable Black Kite over the patch this morning saw me dashing along the coast to see if I could relocate it, and as usual in such circumstances I headed for the highpoint of the layby by the council offices. Scanning round for a while revealed nothing but the local corvids, and with the ridge shrouded in low cloud and fine drizzle, I was just thinking to myself that no self respecting raptor would fly into that when I picked up two large birds of prey in the distance through the bins. I quickly established one was one of the local Common Buzzards, and that it was mobbing a longer-winged bird which banked in the tussel to reveal its white underparts - an Osprey!

Due to the weather it was barely clearing the tree tops and I watched as it slowly headed over Felbigg Park. Knowing that it was heading towards the lake I thought it was worth a shot to try and relocate it there, and indeed coming withing sight of the lake I picked it up again circling round before it carried on its way westwards being mobbed by the local corvids. Due to the weather and distance only a poor record shot was obtained, but it was still an excellent bird, and only my fourth ever for the patch.


With no sign of the kite, I embarked on a good slog round the patch although this revealed very little of note until a phone call alerted me to the presence of a Red-backed Shrike in East Runton. Typically I was a long way from the car, but thankfully it was still there when I arrived and despite being elusive at times, it gave some excellent views and was a really smart bird.


A Garden Warbler was seen mobbing it at one point and a Hobby flew over a couple of times to add to the excitement. A final check of the day around Sidestrand again drew a blank on the migrant front, but a couple of Common Sandpipers were still on the reservoir.